Beautiful golden loaves with a little muffin top. Perfect to slice up for sandwiches and enjoy the whole week long with your family!
this post contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Bread baking is a Sunday thing for me(sometimes, I’m being honest here I don’t do this every single week). I make lots of loaves, leave one or two out on the counter, and wrap up the rest to freeze. When I Sunday-bread bake, I don’t need to buy expensive loaves from the grocer all week long(we eat a lot of bread!!).
Its really special to be able to enjoy your own bread, and to know exactly what it has inside. No added preservatives for a long shelf life. Just clean ingredients. Also, this sandwich bread is VEGAN! No eggs, no butter.
Today we will be sharing a delicious and perfect Vegan Sandwich Loaf with really perfect and fluffy white slices. This recipe is by Carol Black Lucas. She is a member of the Facebook group Vegan Baking. I mean, thank Gd for FB food groups right?! Basically the reason I sign in. I love the home pictures and the long feeds with everyone showing how the recipe came out for them, and I also love that people usually get back to you with answers. Carol posted this bread a while back, without a recipe, in a post about these sweet green loaf tins she got. Obviously, we all wanted the low down and were way interested in the perfect golden loaves she had sitting in said bread tins.
When she did post the recipe, I’m not the only one who jumped up to check my flour-bag count, and get out the yeast.
This Vegan bread is surprisingly easy to make, and while it does take longer than say, Half Hour Challah, you get your moneys worth. The recipe yields 4 solid size loaves( I made some mini loaves for my daughters sandwiches for lunch).
How does the bread get such a golden crust?
Normally, I would brush bread with an egg wash. Here, you have the option of using Vegan Butter(I use one based on coconut oil). The vegan butter will give you the most golden color. Alternatively, you can give your loaves a brush of olive oil, or simply sprinkle them lightly with flour, like this…
To get the mini loaf tins I used(you will get 8 loaves with this recipe), click (HERE).
To get the green bread tins Carol uses, click (HERE).
We hope you love this Vegan Sandwich Bread! Tag your photos on Insta with estee_bestie!
Vegan Sandwich Bread
- 2 TBS active dry yeast
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 10 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 TBS salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- vegan butter, for brushing the tops, or flour for dusting
- Place yeast and 1 TBS sugar into 1 cup of warm water. Gently mix and let it sit for about 8 minutes, till frothy and bubbly.
- In a large bowl, add 10 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Mix to combine( I like using a whisk). Add in the bubbly yeast mixture, 3 cups warm water, and oil. Mix well, and let it stand for 10 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit for 1 hour. Punch the dough down, cover it and let it rise for an additional hour.
- Get out 4 non stick bread baking tins,( lightly grease tins with vegan butter/baking spray if they are not non stick.) Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, shape into loaf shapes, and place into baking tins. Grease the tops of the loaves with softened vegan butter. Alternatively, you can dust the loaves lightly with flour or brush the tops with olive oil. Cover the loaves again and let them rise for about 30 min. or until the dough rises to just above the rim of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 Celsius). Bake the loaves for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!!
- To store, wrap the loaves individually in plastic wrap, and then place into a large ziplock freezer bag.