Vegan Sandwich Bread
- 2 TBS active dry yeast
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 10 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 TBS salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- vegan butter, for brushing the tops, or flour for dusting
- Place yeast and 1 TBS sugar into 1 cup of warm water. Gently mix and let it sit for about 8 minutes, till frothy and bubbly.
- In a large bowl, add 10 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Mix to combine( I like using a whisk). Add in the bubbly yeast mixture, 3 cups warm water, and oil. Mix well, and let it stand for 10 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit for 1 hour. Punch the dough down, cover it and let it rise for an additional hour.
- Get out 4 non stick bread baking tins,( lightly grease tins with vegan butter/baking spray if they are not non stick.) Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, shape into loaf shapes, and place into baking tins. Grease the tops of the loaves with softened vegan butter. Alternatively, you can dust the loaves lightly with flour or brush the tops with olive oil. Cover the loaves again and let them rise for about 30 min. or until the dough rises to just above the rim of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 Celsius). Bake the loaves for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!!
- To store, wrap the loaves individually in plastic wrap, and then place into a large ziplock freezer bag.