These soft and delightful little shortbread cookies are filled with sweet raspberry jam. Shaped into hearts perfect for Valentines Day and drizzled with a tangy lemon glaze, go on ahead and make a plate for your sweetheart!
From the get-go, these cookies are being re-named to Everyones Favourite Cookie. You may have thought your favourite was a chocolate chip cookie, and you also may not have tasted these cookies.
My first fatal meeting was with Raspberry Jam Diagonals, a couple days after our wedding. We were spending the weekend with our families and close friends, and after dinner my sisters in law set up this crazy spread of desserts. I LOVE desserts so I was obviously flying and then I tried one of these little slivers of soft cookie. I said sorry not sorry to everyone else, and that platter came back to sit with me. (No more wedding dress fittings=unlimited cookies yusssss).
Time went on and I eventually created my own shortbread recipe with easy measurements that fit my schedule, and while the filling for this dough can be whatever you please- also try these Chocolate Pecan Drizzles– the raspberry jam has a special place in everyones hearts.
I really do mean everyone. My husband is obsessed with these. My mother steals most of them when she comes before the weekend begins and finds them on the counter. And my friends. Oh boy. I made these for my best friends Sheva Brachot(an after wedding party), in New York, and, after polishing off the platter, our friends said these MUST go on the blog. How these aren’t on the blog already is quite odd but I said please remind me because I will forget! Dutifully, Odelia took the job and messaged me every week- “THE JAM COOKIES, ESTEE”. We all thank you gurl!
As Valentines Day is coming up and these are perfectly adaptable little things, we will be making these raspberry jam babies into super sweet and simple little hearts.
Minimalist Black Cake Stand/1220 Ceramics
The batch will make 24. if you’re making these and not wanting to shape each cookie(I get it) you can just make them all thumbprints, and you’ll get 30. I would suggest doubling the recipe if you’re planning on having anyone over!
To make the hearts you will follow these steps:
- shape the dough into even little balls
- cut out a triangle sliver
- pinch the opposite end to create a point
- press on the two little points to round them out
- with your index finger, make indents in the shape of a “V”
- fill the hearts with jam!
Bake, let cool, and drizzle with glaze. Give the glaze some time to harden if you want to stack these or cover them. Make these the night before and leave them on the counter for your Valentines!
are you following estee_bestie on Instagram yet?!
Raspberry Jam Hearts with Lemony Glaze
- 113 gram vegan butter/butter (1 stick butter),(1/2 cup)
- 3 Tbs White sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup 3 Tbs sifted white flour
- Good quality Raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat vegan butter and sugar until combined. Add vanilla and salt and beat to combine. Scrape down the sides of the mixer and add the flour, scraping the bowl as necessary. Mix until a dough forms and there are no large pieces of butter.
- Gather the dough into a ball, and cut into 3 pieces. Cut each piece into 2, and then each into 4. You should have 24 somewhat even pieces of dough.
- Preheat oven to 175c/350f. Line a baking tray with a parchment sheet. Take each cookie and shape into a ball. Cut out a little triangle shape. Pinch the opposite ends together to form the point of the heart. Round out the top edges. Make two indents with your index finger in the shape of a "V". Fill indents with jam. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and let cool.
- to make glaze, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix with a fork to combine. If the glaze is too thick, add 1/4 tsp lemon juice at a time till it reaches the right consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cookies. You can make a small white heart in the centre of the jam with the glaze-get creative! Let cool and enjoy!