The perfect buttery soft oatmeal cookie dotted with M&Ms is slightly crunchy on the edges and chewy in the centre. Thanks to some special ingredients these cookies taste incredible hot from the oven AND for breakfast the next day!
Some people “deal” with oatmeal in their cookies and others, like myself, feel a cookie is missing a lil’ something if its just plain flour and no oats! Oats add texture and nutty flavor, and, they happen to be healthy. Not that this cookie is healthy- I DID NOT say that!
Our other cookie favorites: Raspberry Jam Hearts, No Dairy Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies, Vegan Caramel Pecan Bars.
These oatmeal cookies are buttery, which is the very best way to enjoy an oatmeal cookie in my opinion, and filled with chocolate peanut butter M&Ms(or plain if you like that). The dough is cookie lovers heaven straight from the mixing bowl- my kids favorite way to eat cookies! I always take into account that we’ll have significantly less cooked cookies than the recipe states, if any more than one batch actually makes it to the oven.
Something special I love about these oatmeal cookies is hot soft and chewy they stay with time. Some cookies will dry out after they cool and that is just so frustrating.
Why do these oatmeal cookies stay so soft?
Our secret ingredient is Honey! Honey draws in and retains moisture in baked goods so they stay tasting fresh long after they’ve come out of the oven and cooled. A little goes a long way- you only need 1 Tablespoon of honey for all the prolonged shelf life benefits!
Why cornstarch AND flour?
Again, there’s only a minimal amount of cornstarch in these oatmeal cookies(1 1/2 teaspoons). So why? Cornstarch combined with flour “softens” the flour proteins and produces a tender cookie! Tender, soft, chewy, soft, chewy. Thats all anyone wants right?
I love making these oatmeal M&M cookies with my kids, although we lose a lot of the M&Ms in the process, and when I first tried out this recipe I brought a bag to the restaurant for my coworkers to try. They loved them! Even our Israeli delivery guy, who can be super Israeli and weird about American foods, said they were FAB.
We know you’ll love them too! – be sure to leave a review and a comment below if you make them, and always share your photos with us on Instagram! As always, Happy Cooking, and Happy Holidays!
Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- 1 1/8 cup sifted white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (113 gram)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 1/8 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2-3/4 cup M&Ms
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the white and brown sugar and beat until combine and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the egg, vanilla, and honey and beat to combine.
- Add the oats and M&Ms and mix gently just until combined. Try not to overmix at this point.
- Cover the dough(eat some it is sooooo good), and refrigerate for a half hour.
- Preheat the oven to 345 F/ 175 C.Drop balls of dough(about 1 1/2 Tablespoons per cookie) onto a baking sheet fitted with parchment paper. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Cookies will cook a bit more and set while cooling. I like mine extra chewy so i take them out at 7 minutes, while the centers still look a tad undercooked.Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply