Vegan caramel cookie bars that are insanely delicious and healthy too! Starting with a almond cookie base, filled with coconut caramel flaked with crunchy toasted pecans, all topped with chocolate. It’s the perfect feel-good-about-it-snack.
I wasn’t planning on writing this post! Theres a really fun Moroccan recipe coming up here on the blog, as well as one of my favourite Hawaiian plate lunches…but they’ll have to wait. I made these cookies with Nadav(my toddler), who, like his mamma ECHEM, is obsessed with cookies. Last week we made Big Soft Gingerbread Cookies, and these I wanted to be a bit healthier. I mean, a LOT healthier!
No sugar, no dairy, no refined flours in these cookie bars! I don’t have much to say besides that these are sure to surprise you with flavour, texture, and taste!
These bars have three layers. The first is a cookie base made from almond flour, silan(date honey), and a couple tablespoons of coconut oil.
Is Date Honey the same as regular honey?
If you’re new to the date honey world, let me make introductions! Date honey, or Silan, as we call it in Israel, is actually far more healthy than honey, maple syrup, and other natural sweeteners. A single tablespoon of date honey contains more than twice the amount of calcium, magnesium, and potassium compared to honey and maple syrup.
It’s not actually honey, as honey is made by bees- silan is made from boiled, mashed and concentrated dates. It is much darker in colour than honey, and has a rich sweet flavour a bit similar to molasses. Date honey in the Middle East is sold in huge glass jars and is super duper cheap- we just love it!
I know you’re thinking, if you’re anything like me, that you don’t have a lot of these ingredients. Don’t worry, a short stop at the health food store will get you all the goods, and you’ll be stocked up to make healthier desserts all week long!!! (even longer honestly, a jar of coconut oil lasts a while!). Or you can order them online, I’ll provide links below.
the following are affiliate links- products are all from amazon
Get the ingredients:
The second layer is a vegan caramel filling. It is SO GOOD. Just straight out of the bowl by the spoonful, it’s a sticky treat! This filling tastes just like German Frosting, which is the best! In a big bowl, you’ll simply mix together coconut flakes, chopped roasted pecans, more date honey, a touch of salt and molasses, and cashew butter.
For this recipe, I made my own cashew butter, which was surprisingly easy! I won’t be buying it again, or almond butter, and maybe even peanut butter for that matter. It is so fresh, smooth and creamy, and only takes 15 minutes.
How to Make Homemade Cashew Butter
You can use ready made cashew butter in a jar, but this stuff is so delicious homemade, it’s easy, and way cheaper too.
You’ll need 2 cups of raw cashews and a teaspoon of coconut oil. I didn’t have enough cashews on hand, so I used 3/4 cup cashew and 1/4 cup raw almonds. DO YOU.
+First you roast the nuts for 10-12 minutes. This gives them a really nice toasty flavour. Let them cool slightly while you get out the food processor and your “s” blade.
+Next just pop in the nuts, turn the mixer on to medium/high, and process for 8-10 minutes. They will first be a coarse crumb, then turn into a ball, and then start to get creamy.
+At that point, turn the mixer to low and add in the coconut oil. Once it’s incorporated, up the speed to medium again, and let it run for 5 more minutes. Run your spoon through it, SO CREAMY!
It’s ready to add to your caramel filling!
Once the cookie base is ready, spread the filling on top. It will be super sticky! Top that all with some melted dark chocolate and coconut oil, and pop in the freezer till set. Slice, and enjoy!
I hope you love these Coconut Caramel Cashew Butter Bars like we do- be sure to leave a review and a comment below if you make them, and always share your photos with us on Instagram! As always, Happy Cooking!
Coconut Caramel Cashew Butter Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbs date honey
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
Coconut Caramel Filling
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes(shredded coconut)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup date honey
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (recipe to follow)
- 1 tsp molasses optional, I like adding this for extra flavour
- 1/4 tsp salt
Homemade Cashew Butter
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 bar dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Line a rectangular pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F /175C. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, date honey, and coconut oil and mix until combined. Press into the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool.
Coconut caramel filling
- Combine the coconut flakes, roasted and chopped pecans, date honey, cashew butter, molasses if using, and salt in a large bowl. Mix. It will be sticky! Press onto the cookie base in the pan.
Homemade Cashew Butter
- Spread the cashews on a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, until just starting to turn golden. Let them cool slightly. Fit your stand mixer with the "s"blade and add the cashews. Process on medium high for about 10 minutes. They will first turn into a coarse crumb. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Next stage the cashews will become a ball, and then start to get creamy. Just at that point, lower the speed and drizzle in the coconut oil. Once it is fully combined, turn up the speed and process for another 5 minutes. Store in a glass container with an airtight lid in the fridge.
- Crumble the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and add the coconut oil. Heat for 30 seconds, mix, and than another 30 seconds. Mix and pour over the caramel filling. Place the baking pan in the freezer to set. Slice into 6 bars, or smaller squares, and serve.