Restaurant style tempura mushrooms with a puffy- crispy coating, drizzled in hot teriyaki sauce with a little kick.
I am going to tell you right off the bat that these are a REALLY EASY appetiser. They look so fancy but the batter is only 3 ingredients! Whisk some flour and a little beer and dip in your veggies. Fry them up. Serve. WIN.
When people hear “Tempura” they think upscale and something that doesn’t really work at home. But I am telling you home-cook to home-cook, I do not own a deep fryer. I make these in my normal kitchen pans in a couple inches of oil and they come out amazing.
these lovely ceramic serving dishes are from 1220 Ceramics(my new obsession if you haven’t noticed)..
For the teriyaki sauce we are going to be major cheats today. Are you okay with that? I am. If you want you can go off and make your own sauce but I loveeee Mikes Teriyaki Sauce and I happen to have a bottle in the kitch so we are using it. This stuff is really thick- we will water it down a bit so it drizzles nice and pretty over our mushrooms. I also add some red pepper flakes for extra flavour. I also make it “Hot” in the microwave. It’s so easy, why not?! (cheating I know. shhhh)
You can use this batter for an assortment of things like beer battered chicken(yes please!), fish and chips, and other vegetables.
Try these other delicious dishes…
Are you following estee_bestie on Insta yet?!
I suggest buying a small bottle of beer unless you are a beer drinker so it doesn’t go to waste. I made these at 11 AM for -said- blog post and got quiteeee the speech when hubby came home and found an almost full beer sitting out. I told him it was for work and that I just couldn’t drink a beer that early and he said but it’s beer. Babe loves his beer. I love babe. No more mushrooms in the AM.
Hope you love these,
Beer Battered Tempura Mushrooms with Hot Teriyaki Sauce
- 8 mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 3 Tbs Mikes Teriyaki Sauce or your favourite brand
- 1 Tbs water
- In a bowl, place flour, 1/4 cup of beer, salt, garlic powder, and pepper flakes, if desired. Whisk until combined and smooth. If the batter is very thick slowly add 1/4 cup beer, until it is a dunk able consistency.
- Place teriyaki sauce in a microwave safe bowl and add 1 Tbs water. If your Teriyaki sauce is already thin, there’s no need to add the water. Heat it for 30 seconds, and mix until combined(alternatively, you can heat it in a small pot on the stovetop).
- Heat up canola oil in a small pot.
- Dip quartered mushrooms into the tempura batter and gently place into the hot oil, leaving space so the mushrooms aren’t touching. Fry for about a minute on each side, until they are just starting to turn golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel to drain.
- Place mushrooms in a serving bowl. Drizzle over Hot Teriyaki Sauce and garnish with red pepper flakes OR place teriyaki sauce in a small serving dish on the side. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply