These short ribs- what we call Asado in Israel-are rubbed with a smoky spice rub and cooked low and slow in the oven. We finish the last 15 minutes of roasting time with an easy BBQ sauce that caramelizes on the meat for the most tender, juicy Asado ever!
Finding a solid cut of meat that is available year-round in Israel is like finding a needle in a haystack.
But we found it!
Around Rosh Hashanah time- the Jewish New Year, I make Sage and Black Pepper Lamb Asado, and the rest of the year we make beef asado! Sometimes we do a simple white wine and herb marinade, but when I want a really succulent, sweet bite we make this Oven Roasted BBQ Rubbed Asado.
It is so good that there is really no point making anything else for the menu- because this dish is all anyone wants to eat!
Some sides that would go great? Mashed potatoes and string beans, or this Vietnamese Bahn Mi Slaw.
Slow Roasted Asado
Asado is a pretty thick cut of meat that is mildly exercised during the life of the animal. That means tougher meat that can’t be short-grilled like a steak, but instead needs a long, slow roast.
That’s okay! The result we get is such tender succulent meat, and the time in the oven is totally hands-off.
How to Make Oven Roasted Asado
This is a simple recipe that gets compliments every time!
- Prep: First thing you’ll get out a baking tray and lay down two large pieces of foil, one going lengthwise and one going along the width of the tray. Place the meat on top of this- we’ll wrap it up after its seasoned so it has a nice steamy environment to cook in.
2. Smoky Spiced Dry Rub
The dry rub is a delicious mix of pantry staple spices- all you have to do is measure and mix!
What you need:
+salt and crushed black pepper
3. Roast and Sauce
Sprinkle the spice rub generously over the meat, and then drizzle on good-quality olive oil. We’ll massage that into the meat on both sides, and the edges.
Then close up the foil around the asado like a package, and place in the oven to roast for 4- 4.5 hours, until the meat flakes off the bone with a fork.
Now for the sauce- we are taking a major shortcut and that is using store-bought BBQ sauce, simply because that is what my husband loves! I’ve tried so many homemade recipes and I think they’re great but he prefers a bottle of Baby Rays.
Hey- it’s quicker and easier so I’m not complaining! To jazz it up a bit and to give an extra tang I added a teaspoon each of vinegar and soy sauce, and a clove of finely crushed garlic.
Brush that on both sides of the asado and return to the oven uncovered for 15 minutes. The sauce will caramelize on the meat and create a rich color and the best sweet flavor!
MORE ASADO RECIPES TO LOVE:
If you try this recipe please give it a star rating below and be sure to add any of your special comments. Readers(and me!!) love hearing how things come out in your own kitchen. Happy cooking!
Smoky BBQ Rubbed Asado Recipe(Short Ribs)
- 3.3 lbs(1.5 kilo) asado, bone in(otherwise called short ribs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce- i used Baby Rays Honey Barbeque
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- Preheat oven to 310 f/ 155 c.Get out a baking sheet and lay on one sheet of aluminum foil lengthwise and one large peice across the width. On top place a piece of parchment paper.Place the meat on top.In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the dry rub.
- Sprinkle rub generously on both sides of the meat. Drizzle over olive oil- start with a Tablespoon and if you need more(if its too dry to rub easily), add more a drizzle at a time.Massage the rub and oil into the meat on both sides and on all edges. Arrange the asado bone side up and wrap up all the edges of parchment and foil tightly around the meat.
- Place in the oven to roast- set a timer for 4 hours. Check the meat by pulling at a piece with a fork. The meat should pull away easily from the bone. If it's not ready, place it in the oven for another 30 minutes. Unwrap the foil from the meat. Raise the oven temperature to 350 f/175 c.In a small bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, and fresh garlic.
- Brush sauce on to both sides of the meat return to the oven uncovered for a last 15 minutes. Enjoy hot!