Today is Episode 2 in our Skillet Cooking Series!!! We are cooking up a delicious one pan Skillet Baharat and Chestnut Chicken. Flavorful, aromatic, and it’s healthy too! This dish is ready in under an hour with minimal dishes, making it the perfect weeknight dinner for your family.
First: Make sure you are following our Skillet Series over on Instagram to see hands on videos of all the dishes(and ask me any in-time questions!).
Our Skillet Chicken Rice and Potatoes was made by friends around the world and I got so much feedback on people wanting more one pot meals.
This recipe is from a friend of mine on the moshav(a mountain top village in central Israel) -where we live.
We had some new neighbors over for the latest Jewish holiday celebration and it was such a treat. They brought a great bottle of wine and huge pot of this Baharat Chicken…and we made Honey Mustard Smoked Roast and Chocolate Cakes.
Great conversation, food, and friends, is what its all about right?!
Elisheva is a personal trainer so when I asked her for this recipe I knew it was going to be a healthy, good-for you dish! She basically sent me a list of ingredients and I wrote down the quantities as I cooked. Now you can make it too!
Skillet Chestnut Chicken
For this dish you can use chicken thighs or a mixture of bone in breasts and drumsticks. Thighs I find to be more expensive but stay super juicy… if you want to make this more on a budget go for bone in chicken! Simmering the chicken in that delicious spiced sauce will render a fall-off-the-bone bite, whichever chicken you choose to use.
What spices will I need?
Dont let these spices daunt you! It’s so fun to use new spices in the kitchen and these have great health benefits too.
The combination of these key spices seriously took us by surprise…my husband came in a few times from the yard asking me what I was making because the house smelled SO DANG GOOD.
You will need:
- Baharat Seasoning a heady spice mixture used in middle eastern dishes(containing spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom)
- Curry powder an orange hued spice mixture (containing spices like turmeric, coriander, and ginger)
- White pepper
Healthy, Delicious, and Sugar Free
This skillet chicken gets sweetness from simmering down Medjool Dates. The dates soften as they cook and blend into the sauce..you won’t even know they are there!
We also saute chestnuts with the dates, which add a delicious crunchy bite.
Serve this over rice for the perfect dinner!
Skillet Baharat and Chestnut Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or a mixture of breasts and drumsticks
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced or crushed
- 3 medjool dates, cut into pieces
- 1/2-1 cup chestnuts (one airtight bag), ready to eat
- 2 tsp curry spice
- 1 tsp baharat seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- Heat up your skillet and add the oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and add carefully to the pan. Sear on each side for about 2 minutes- until golden. Remove to a plate.
- To the pan add diced onion and garlic and saute until the onion begins to soften. Add the broken dates and saute another 2 minutes. Add chestnuts and all seasonings. Mix to combine well. Add water and cooking wine and stir again.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, nestling it into the sauce. Cook for 20-25 minutes, then flip. The chicken should be golden at this point on one side. Cook at a simmer on the second side until the sauce has reduced and thickened a bit, another 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.