Half Hour Honey Olive Oil Challah
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 Tbs dry instant yeast
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 3/4 cup sifted white flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Water
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs Water
- In a large mixing bowl, place warm water, yeast, sugar, and olive oil. mix to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes, or until foamy and bubbly on top. While the yeast is sitting, prepare your baking trays with baking sheets or oil baking pans(depending on the shape you want).
- To the yeast mix, add honey, salt, eggs, and 3 cups of flour. Mix with a spatula. Add in 2 1/2 cups more flour and mix until dough comes together.
- Once all the flour in incorporated, turn dough out of the bowl onto a floured counter. Sprinkle over 1/8 cup flour and knead. If the dough is extremely sticky, add another 1/8 cup flour. Knead for about 2 minutes, until all the flour in incorporated and the dough is smooth. It will be on the sticky side! Sprinkle your work surface with flour and spray hands with cooking spray. With a knife, cut dough into desired amount of pieces. (I made two large 4-strand braids and one medium) If you are rolling them out to braid sprinkle only enough flour that they don't stick to the counter. Braid and place gently on baking sheets and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200c. Whisk together the egg and water and lightly brush the tops of the challahs with a pastry brush. (you can sprinkle with poppy seeds if you like!) Place in oven to bake for 10-15 minutes(depending on your oven). Tops should be golden and when tapped on the bottom, it should sound hollow.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey and water and bring to a boil. cook for an additional 30 seconds- it should thicken a little. While challah is hot, brush them with glaze using a pastry brush(handy thing!). These can be frozen right away- wrap in aluminum foil and place in an airtight ziplock and in the freezer. Store at room temp in a cool place in an airtight bag. Enjoy!