Half Hour Hummus Basar Challah with Beer Caramelised Onions
- One batch of Half Hour Honey Olive Oil Challah RECIPE LINK IN ABOVE POST^
- Caramelized Onions:
- 1 1/2-2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 tsp Demerara sugar
- Topping for the rolls:
- sesame seeds for rolling
- 1 Tbs rosemary crushed
- drizzle of olive oil
- Egg wash:
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp Water
- Chummus Basar: for filling two rounds
- 1 pound or 1/2 kilo ground meat
- 1 Tbs Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3-4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Black pepper more to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin optional
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
- One package of hummus
Caramelise Onions and Arrange Challah
- To caramelise onions, heat up olive oil in a frying pan, and add the sliced onions. Saute until soft and golden. Add the beer and demerara sugar, and cook until the beer dissolves. Set aside to cool. At this point prepare the challah.
- Prepare a springform bundt pan or springform pan with a ball of aluminum foil in the center and spray it with cooking spray. I prefer the springform bundt pan because the center is widest and easier to fill with the hummus basar!
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour. Divide the challah dough into two. Cut each half into four pieces, and each of those into five pieces, so you have 20 small pieces(from each half of dough).
- Press each piece with the palm of your hand to flatten into a disc, and fill the inside with caramelised onions. Take the edges and bring them up to meet in the center to close the dough into a small parcel. Take half of the parcels and dip the smooth side down into a bowl of sesame seeds.
- Take the 10 parcels with seeds, and place them sesame seed side-up around the center of the pan, not touching the middle piece. (the more space you have in the center, the bigger size bowl you can fit!)
- Take the other 10 parcels and place them along the outer edge of the pan, each in the center of two with the sesame seeds. It might look like there’s a lot of empty space, but they will fill out when baking.
- Combine egg and water for egg wash and brush rolls lightly. Let rest for 10 minutes. While dough is resting, prepare filling.
- Heat up oil in a pan, add chopped onions and garlic, and fry until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the ground meat and spices, and cook until the meat is fully cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 392f/200c. Bake the challah rounds for 15-20 minutes(depending on your oven). Remove from the oven and mix together the rosemary and olive oil. Brush onto the rolls without the sesame seeds.
- Remove the challah from the springform pan onto a serving plate.
- Find a bowl to fit the center of the challah(if you don’t have a bowl that fits, simply spread the hummus directly onto the serving plate and up the sides of the challah in the center). Fill the bowl about ⅓ way up with hummus, spreading it to reach the edges of the bowl. Fill the center with ground meat. Top with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Leave a Reply