Fluffy Banana Pancake Muffins make the best breakfast, snack, and after school treat! They are easy to make, delicious, and [somewhat] healthy! And best of all, kids love um! We use fresh bananas, an easy muffin batter, and a swirl of cinnamon for the perfect touch.
My kids, especially, are obsessed with muffins! The favorites are cinnamon streusel coffee cake muffins, and sour cream banana muffins. Obviously, here we kind of combined the two to make this weeks new favorite!
These banana pancake muffins taste like banana pancakes, but in muffin form. And they are SUPER FLUFFY. If you ask me, the fluff is what makes or breaks a muffin. Dense muffins, even if the top crumb is great, are just not fun to eat.
Eating should be fun. and fluffy!!! always fluffy!!!
What makes a muffin fluffy?
No secrets here, a fluffy muffin starts and ends with a good recipe. You dont have to be a great baker to make incredible textured, soft muffins, but you do need a solid recipe with the right ingredients.
My one tip? Dont over-mix the muffin batter. I love mixing as much as the next kid, but once the dry ingredients are incorporated and you can’t see streaks of flour, put the spatula down.
Some recipes utilize sour cream to get a soft texture, like my simple banana muffins.
But if you’ve tried these Raspberry Citrus muffins you’ll see they are just as delicious and totally dairy free. Its all in the right amount of ingredients!
Why trust my muffin recipe?
Great question! I too have made many an Internet recipe that has failed. And it truly sucks. so why trust me?!
Well, I started my muffin career on the streets of Old Jerusalem and ended up working for a couple years as the head baker in The Muffin Boutique, Jeru’s one stop shop for all things muffin.
We didn’t use any special equipment(well, we did have perfect mini-muffin sized tins and mini ice cream scoopers) BUT I often worked with a regular bowl and spatula, and lots of our muffins were dairy free.
If(and when) you try this recipe please leave a review and a star rating below so other readers can trust you and not just me! (thanks 😉
Ingredients for Banana Pancake Muffins
The ingredients for these muffins are simple but please measure properly with measuring spoons and level your flour with something flat(the flat side of a knife works great!)
1.This recipe does require milk but you can use oat milk to make dairy free muffins!
2. Brown bananas are the best! The softer the sweeter! And.. much easier to mash.
3. Pancake Syrup!
What would a pancake muffin be without syrup, eh? I use regular pancake syrup-the junky kind -but you could also use maple syrup. I tried swirling it into the muffin tops like in the photos but you dont have to do that, and I actually advise not to do that. The muffin tops get this slight crisp top when they bake and the pancake syrup is sticky. If you drizzle it on you get some crisp and some stick and its perfect. Does that make sense? You’ll see.
Easy to Make Fluffy Banana Pancake Muffins
- 2 cup flour, sifted
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup milk or oat milk
- 4 M bananas, very ripe
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- pancake syrup
Cinnamon Swirl (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP canola or other vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºf/ 175ºc.In a large bowl, Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.to a 1/3 cup measuring cup add the 2 teaspoon vinegar and then fill to the top with milk. Let sit while you mash bananas.In a separate bowl mash bananas. Add canola oil, sugar, and eggs to bananas, along with the homemade buttermilk(milk and vinegar mix). Mix all to combine. Add wet to the dry mix and mix until combined. As soon as you see no more streaks of flour, stop mixing.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon, brown sugar, and oil. Mix.
Assemble and Bake
- Fill muffin tin with liners. Add a scoop of muffin batter, a teaspoon or two or cinnamon filling, and then fill the tin 3/4 of the way full with batter. Drizzle some pancake syrup onto the top of each muffin(about 2 tsp to 1/2 TBSP, there's no need to measure this exactly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until tops are golden.