The appetizer everyone secretly wants to be their main- Cheesy Garlic Pizza Breadsticks! These breadsticks are super special and made with an easy homemade pizza dough( cold-fermented for the best flavor), and topped with a creamy butter, herb, and garlic topping!
I made these for an appetizer at Girls Night-a night where my friends and I meet and one of our houses, make all the carb-loaded food we dream about, open a bottle of wine, and talk story to the wee hours. It’s fab. These were way better than I imagined. Eat them for breakfast-lunch-and-snacktime better.
To save myself the time of making pizza and a separate appetizer, I decided to use the pizza dough for Garlic Breadsticks, and my what a pleasure!!
If you’re a cut-corners kind of gal or gal-ress, you can use a store bought pizza dough, but trust me this pizza recipe recipe is fail-proof and so good!!
Love Cheese? Also try our Baked Caprese Pizza Bombs and Homemade Mozzarella Sticks!
The dough is baked for a short time, with crust that is not too thick and not too thin, perfect for snacking. The cheese melts and crisps up on the top of the breadsticks and the flavor from crushed garlic, fresh herbs, and butter just hits the spot!
For the Pizza Dough:
You will simply mix all the ingredients in a stand mixer, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then mix again for 3 minutes. So essentially this is 10-minutes pizza dough! After the dough is mixed it will be slightly sticky, but lovely to work with. I like to oil the countertop a little and shape the dough into a ball, pulling down on the dough from both sides with my hands to meet underneath the ball, turning, and doing it again a few times. Then cut the dough in half- this recipe makes two long rectangles of garlic bread sticks.
Now here’s the thing- the dough needs to sit in the fridge to cold ferment(get the yeast to do its thing). You can let the dough sit in the fridge for up to three days. The least you should let it sit is three hours in the fridge, at which point you can take it out, shape each ball again in the same way as before, and let it sit for another hour at room temperature. While the dough is resting, make the topping!
For the Cheesy Garlic Topping:
We are going for lots of garlic here, creamy softened butter, fresh parsley, dried oregano, and a mozzarella- parmesan cheese combo. You can use just mozzarella if parmesan is too strong.
How long Do Homemade Breadsticks bake for?
These Garlic Pizza Sticks only need to bake for 12-15 minutes- depending on how crispy you like the cheese on top. Slice them once lengthwise, and then into slivers about 2-fingers in width for the absolute perfect breadsticks!
Serving options: Try these plain, dipped in marinara sauce, served alongside spinach artichoke dip or with French onion soup!
I hope you love these Cheesy Garlic Bread Pizza Sticks as much as we do! Please leave a review below and share your delicious photos with us on Instagram! Happy Cooking my friends <3
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks with Homemade Pizza Dough
10 minute Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 3/4 cup sifted white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 TBSP water, at room temperature
- 1 TBSP olive oil
Cheesy Garlic Spread
- 50 gram butter, softened(not melted)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup mozarrella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix for 1 minute. Let the dough rest for five minutes to hydrate the flour. With the mixer on medium speed, mix for an additional three minutes.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a clean work surface and rub your hands in it. Scrape out the dough from the mixer bowl and shape the dough into a ball by pulling down on either side of the dough with two hands, meeting on the bottom of the dough. Turn the ball and repeat until the dough is smooth. Cut the dough in half and again shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place in an oiled plastic bag or container fitted with a tight lid and place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours, or up to three days.
- 90 minutes before you are ready to bake, take the dough out of the fridge, shape each into a smooth ball once again,place them on an oiled parchment sheet, and cover it. Meanwhile make the spread.
Cheesy Garlic Spread
- Add the softened butter, garli, herbs, and seasonings to a bowl and mash well with a fork. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 390 f. If you have a pizza stone preheat it also, if not, preheat a baking tray- we will flip it upside down and bake the garlic bread on that.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out one piece of dough to a ractangle the length of your baking tray.Transfer the dough to a parchment sheet, and spread over half the garlic butter. Sprinkle with half the mozzrella and parmesan.
- Slide the garlic bread onto the pizza stone or, Carefully remove the hot baking tray from the oven, and flip it upside down. Slide the garlic bread WITH the parchmnet paper onto the hot tray and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden on top. Repeat with the second length of dough.Slice once lengthwise, turn the bread, and slice into sticks each two fingers in width. Eat hot!
Leave a Reply