You’re going to love this skillet honey lemon garlic chicken!! Why? Because anything made in one pan, in 20 minutes, using our 3 favorite ingredients(honey, garlic, and citrus), deserves your full attention!
This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend.
For the last few years I worked nights as a restaurant chef, part time. That means that I was out of the house 3 nights a week with a note on the fridge that said “fend for yourselves ye family!”
(My husband is a great cook so I know no one will starve!)
Now, on the dinner train every night of the week, I can really truly say that one pan meals save lives. My life, to be sure. And yours. If we can pop out an incredible protein-based meal in 20 minutes with barely any dishes to wash after, we have won.
I love that this honey lemon garlic chicken can be made with a variety of chicken types and uses simple ingredients.
What do you need to make Skillet Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken?
First gather your ingredients. This recipe comes together really fast- but even faster when all the components are set together.
If you want to serve this with rice get it going before cooking the chicken and everything will be ready about the same time!
Start by cubing or slicing the chicken and mixing in the potato starch, salt, and pepper. Then heat up your skillet(with 4 Tablespoons of oil) and add the chicken in a single layer.
While the chicken is cooking mince the garlic for the Honey Lemon Garlic sauce, juice the lemon, and add the honey, white wine, sriracha, brown sugar, water, and pepper flakes to a small bowl.
Once the chicken is golden and crispy, pour in the sauce and let it cook down until it reaches your desired consistency.
TIP: If you like it saucy only cook the chicken for one minute more after adding the sauce!
Garnish with green onion and you are ready to serve!
What type of chicken can you use for this recipe?
I used ready sliced chicken breast and cut it into thin slivers, like we do at the restaurant for dishes like Thai Cashew Chicken and Mongolian Chicken.
However- you can use whichever type of chicken you have on hand. Chicken thighs are nice and juicy(although pricier), and chicken breasts are great for cubing chicken if you want square “bites”.
What skillet is best and what if I don’t have one?
A skillet is a useful kitchen tool because it gets really hot and stays hot. The cast iron retains heat and gives a great sear to your chicken and vegetables.
I use a Lodge 10-inch cast iron skillet. I love this pan because it is massive and will fit 2 lbs of chicken in one layer. If I want to add veggies it fits those too. Extra sauce and room to mix it? Fits it. It’s a beast and I love it!
If you don’t have a skillet don’t fret! Choose a pan in your arsenal with the largest surface area, or a wok.
If you use a smaller pan you will have to cook the chicken in two batches otherwise it won’t get that beautiful golden sear.
TIP: too much food in a hot pan lowers the heat and will “steam” the chicken instead of sear it.
I hope you love this Skillet Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken recipe! Please leave a review below if you try it, and send a photo our way on Instagram– those make my day!
Skillet Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breast, thinly sliced or cubed (900 grams)
- 1 TBSP potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 TBSP oil, for cooking chicken
Honey Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 TBSP green onion, for garnish
- Slice or cube the chicken breasts(depending on if you like slivers or square bites more- pictured are slivers!). Add to a bowl with the potato starch, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet(or heavy bottomed fry pan), and add the chicken in a nice layer. If your pan is small, cook the chicken in two batches. Let the chicken cook on the first side without stirring for about 2 minutes and then use your spatula to flip the chicken to the second side and break it apart(it will stick together a bit while it sears). Continue cooking until golden.
Honey Lemon Garlic Sauce
- While the chicken is cooking add all sauce ingredients(besides the green onion), to a small bowl and set aside. Once the chicken is finished pour the sauce over the chicken directly in the skillet.Cook, mixing frequently, until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly. If you like a saucier dish, only continue cooking for about one minute after adding the sauce.
- Garnish with green onion and serve with rice/potatoes/vegetables. I bring this to the table directly in my skillet! Dinner done! Enjoy.
Leave a Reply