This cake made me the most popular wife in town.
Boys….boys are obsessed with this cake. Maybe it’s the vodka, or the liquor, or the sweet pairing of fluffy yellow slices and tangy glaze.
I try not to make it too often, because it always, always gets eaten up. I’ll save it for weekends away with guests. READ:someone to share the calories!
Want more easy desserts? Try these Flaky Nutella Cookies…
Sometimes I give in to my husband begging me for this cake. It’s quite sweet the way his eyes light up when I tell him I’m planning on making Lemon Amaretto Cake for dessert. Sometimes he does a happy dance, and that alone makes it worth it.
Did I say worth it? This cake is so easy to put together, all it takes is….one bowl! (The mixer bowl if you’re like me).
The hardest thing about this recipe is buying the ingredients: alcohol.
Don’t fret- Amaretto liquor isn’t expensive and one bottle will last you for probably 20 cakes. Seriously, that stuff is never ending.
Vodka we always seem to have in the house lately- I think because we’ve been hosting a mass load of Russians and we all know what they like to drink! No need to waste Grey Goose on a cake though- use the cheapest stuff available.
Orange juice- the original recipe calls solely for orange juice, but I like to add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice- it adds a little tang.
This recipe is from my sister-in-law, Chana, who is fabulous at everything she does, including baking and parenting. [I really need to do a post dedicated to my sister in laws- there are 8 altogether!] Every time this cake is brought to a family gathering (and you can guess how big those are with eight sister in laws), it is the highlight of the table.
This is what I call the perfect slice..
If I’m going to be honest, it’s usually half eaten before dessert even begins, as all the boys sneak in that”one bite” .
Sneaky trick: Sometimes I cover the cake with a kitchen towel so no-one knows its there.
I know you’re dying to make it already. Hold on.
1.This cake is dairy free!
2.This cake is made from scratch. NO BOX MIX. Almost every Harvey Wallbanger Cake(to which this is similar) calls for a box mix, and this is better.
3.Did I say one bowl? ok, let’s do it!
First beat sugar and oil. Check your eggs and add them in, beating after each addition.
Add in your dry ingredients. As we’re not mixing these together beforehand, I like to sprinkle everything evenly over the wet batter and not just dump the baking powder in one spot. Add in liquors and rest of ingredients. Mix till combined and batter is smooth.
Spray pans. I like to use some of the batter to make a mini loaf that we eat right when it comes out of the oven, and a large bundt.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Mix icing ingredients together and drizzle over COOLED cake. You can top with lemon zest like I did here..
Perfect Lemon Amaretto Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups Oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix(84 gram)- I use Osem
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbs lemon juice- freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup amaretto liquor
- 1 cup confectioners sugar- powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs. vodka
- 1 Tbs. amaretto liquor
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Mix together sugar and oil. I do this in the bowl of a stand mixer. Check eggs first(for blood spots and shells), and add to the bowl one at a time, beating in after each addition. Evenly sprinkle in flour and baking powder(don't dump it all in one spot). For the juice, add the Tbs. of lemon juice to your 3/4 measuring cup, and then fill to the top with orange juice. Add in rest of ingredients- pudding mix, orange+lemon juice, vodka, and amaretto liquor. Mix until smooth on medium speed.
- Preheat oven to 350/175. Grease pans- spray is the best for even distribution! Pour batter into pans. I always make a small loaf pan or a couple cupcakes and then fill the large bundt. Then we can taste test without having to cut into the main cake! And who doesn't want some of this for breakfast? Bake for 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. (around 20 min for the mini loaf)
- Combine glaze ingredients and, when the cake is cooled, drizzle over.
Leave a Reply