Golden, chewy, and crispy-on-the edges- chocolate chip cookie bars. Stuffed with creamy peanut butter fudge and melted chocolate chunks.
~When I think of chewy chocolate chip bars I think of summer BBQs and family get-togethers and midnight snacks in the kitchen.
I also remember my first year of seminary in Israel, when my Eim Bayit(house mom) *who happens to now be my sister in law* used to bring out fresh batches of chocolate chip sticks at all occasions. They were pounced on by the whole dorm and finished off in seconds. Dotted with little brown chips, crispy on the edges and soft on the inside. Basically an under-fed and over-studied students dream. (not that we were either of those. just saying).
Sem ended… and then I actually married into the family. Lucky me, I got to have these cookies all the time! And I usually never even made them, because someone else always did(there are 4 sisters). But when we started hosting for Shabbosim(over the weekends), guys would always ask me if there was a cc cookie to nosh on. After dinner, when everyone had moved to the couch, these cookies would be requested. So I asked one of my now-sister -in- laws for the recipe to finally try them myself.
I want to say they are easy-as-pie, but COME ON. They are so much easier than pie!!!!!! The originals are perfect but stuffed with peanut butter fudge and filled with melted chocolate straight from the oven, they are on another level. I’m sure you will understand.
These cookie sticks are:
One Bowl Magic.
Dairy-free. Yep that’s right no butter!
Ready in under 30.
Yallah, let’s do it!
PB Fudge Stuffed Cookie Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks
- 1 cup Canola oil
- 1 cup White sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips(optional)
- 200 grams (2 bars) dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs coconut cream/coconut milk/coconut oil
- 100gram (one bar) dark chocolate
- extra peanut butter( I highly recommend this)
- *Preheat oven to 175 celsius. combine oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda(sprinkle this on top of the batter-don't pour it in one spot), salt, and chocolate chips if using. mix with a spatula until all the flour is incorporated.
- Divide the batter in half and place one half on a non stick baking mat or on a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray. Shape the dough into a rectangle. Press the cookie dough down with your hands till it is about a half inch thick or a little thinner. Set aside.
- To make the fudge in a double boiler(this ensures the chocolate doesn't burn), fill a pot up with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Place the chocolate, peanut butter, honey, and coconut cream in a large metal bowl and place over the pot. The bottom of the bowl shouldn't be touching the boiling water.
- Stir with a spatula until the mixture is melted and thoroughly combined.
- Spread fudge over the shaped cookie dough. Chop up the third chocolate bar into large chunks and arrange over the fudge. Take the second half of cookie dough and gently place on top of the filling. (I like to kind of crumble it over and then press in down gently to fill any spots that aren't covered).
- If desired(DO THIS)- place small dollops of peanut butter on top of the cookie dough.
- In a preheated oven, place baking tray on the middle rack and bake 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden. DON'T OVER BAKE. Mine are perfect at 15 min(depending on your oven may take a couple more mins). Slice into squares and enjoy warm or at room temp! Cutting will be cleaner if you wait for them to cool but who wants to wait?! Store in an airtight container on the counter.