This Mediterranean Salmon Bake with Almond and Herbs is our new favorite way to enjoy salmon! Bright and lemony with a nutty herb crust, this really makes a full meal that is healthy and delicious. With a simple ingredient list, this salmon bake hits all the flavor points and is ready in under 30 minutes!
I call this a “Mediterranean Salmon Bake” because the recipe is from an Israeli and we live in the Middle East. The spices on this side of the world are beyond incredible and the vegetables are bright and fresh.
So while there is no Zaatar and cumin in this recipe, it does give all those healthy, citrusy flavors you think of when the “mediterranean coast” comes to mind!
The spicy flavors and simple vegetables really made the weekend something to look forward to- sitting around with slices of freshly baked Challah bread, dipping into a pan of red saucy fish. Okay Okay.
We did need to switch it up a bit and the answer came at a meal we shared with our neighbors. My French/Israeli friend Nitzan brought this almond crusted salmon(along with a bunch of dips and spreads), and while my husband never eats nuts, he told me “you have to make this babe!!!”
Nut Crusted Salmon
This salmon is made super hearty with a lovely crisp and green nut crust, made with almonds!
Peeled Almonds are a must.
If there was a way around this I would tell you but the truth is this dish is so much better when the almonds are peeled. You can buy white almonds, without the peel but they do tend to be more expensive, and might not be what you have on hand.
If you have peeled almonds, great!! Skip this step.
How to Peel your own Almonds
This is an extra step but it is very simple to peel your own almonds. Start with fresh dry almonds- old almonds are a bit wrinkled and much more difficult to peel.
Soak almonds in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat.
After these two soaks the peel should come off when rubbed between your fingers. I got my daughter to help out with this part and it was a big help!!
Best Herbs with Salmon
After peeling the almonds, pop them into a food processor with a couple cloves of garlic. For a bright green herb crust we are using both parsley and cilantro. These herbs pair perfectly with the citrus and nuts.
Pulse the crust till fine crumbs form, and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. There is a specified amount of lemon juice in this recipe but feel free to add an extra squeeze before serving!
This baked salmon is really so easy! After making the herb and nut crust, drizzle your salmon fillets with olive oil and press on the topping.
The salmon needs to bake, uncovered, for only 15-20 minutes.
The herb crust should be just golden and the salmon inside juicy and flaky.
To test for doneness: Pierce the salmon with a fork after 15 minutes and give it a little twist. The salmon should flake apart very easily.
If it’s still pink inside, give it another 5 minutes. The cooking time really depends on the thickness of your fillets!
If you make this Mediterranean Salmon Bake with Almonds and Herbs, leave a comment/rate the recipe below! I love to hear about your tips and tweaks to the recipes, and all about what you are cooking! Of course, don’t forget to share a photo on Instagram, those make my day. Happy Cooking, Estee
Mediterranean Salmon Bake with Almonds and Herbs
- 12-14 ounce salmon fillet, cut into 4-6 slices, skin removed
- 3/4 cup skinned almonds, or regular (instructions follow to skin your own)
- 1/2 cup parlsey
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, plus another half for serving
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- If you dont have peeled almonds on hand, you can do this yourself. It does take a little time but the results are worth it! If you have peeled almonds, skip this step.
- Place almonds(with skin) in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain water and repeat. After the second drain the skins should slip right off when you rub them between your fingers.
Make Almond Herb crust
- Preheat oven to 450º F/ 232º CAdd the peeled almonds to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the "S" blade. Add parlsey, cilantro, and peeled garlic cloves. Pulse until fine crumbs form.Add the juice of half a lemon and the pepper and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Oil a baking dish that fits all salmon fillets.Place salmon fillets in the dish and drizzle over the olive oil.Pour on the crust, pressing it gently to the top of the salmon so it sticks, as well as to the sides of the salmon(if the sides are not flush with the baking dish). If there is a lot of extra herb mixture(1/4 cup or more), place that in a ziplock bag and freeze it for another use.
- Squeeze over the juice from the second half of lemon.
- Place the salmon in the oven uncovered and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden and the salmon is cooked through(you can insert a fork and twist it- the salmon should be flaky).
- To serve, arrange the salmon fillets on a serving platter with fresh parlsey and slices of lemon.