Jamaican Chicken Soup
- whole chicken
- 2 onions chopped
- whole head garlic crushed
- 10-15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
- sprinkle salt+pepper
- 4 potatoes sliced in small chunks
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in small chunks
- 1 Jamaican sweet potatoe/butternut squash peeled and cut in small chunks
- 1 hot pepper
- 4 Tbs Osem chicken soup mix choose soup mix OR bouillon cubes
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- small bunch fresh dill(optional)
- Place chicken in a container and cover with 2 chopped onions, a whole head of crushed garlic, 10-15 sprigs fresh thyme(you can do 2Tbs. dried if you need to sub), 2 Tbs vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cover and put in fridge overnight. If you are making this day-of, you can let it marinade for only a couple hours and then continue.
- Place chicken with all the onion and garlic marinade in a large pot and sauce 10 minutes on each side. Add four cups of water and simmer for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare 4 potatoes & 4 carrots. Choose between Jamaican sweet potato, normal sweet potato, acorn, or butternut squash, or use some of each! Slice all veggies in small chunks. Add to soup and add more water to cover.
- Add 1 hot pepper(green), 2 Tbs soup mix/billon cubes, and dill if using.
- Bring to a boil for one hour and then add dumplings if you're using. Cook for one more hour and add more fresh thyme. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
Leave a Reply