Hearty Meat and Vegetable Soup
- 1/2-1 kilo ( one to 2 pounds) shank meat(#8), or asado
- 2 Tbs Canola oil
- 3 onions (2 diced, one cut in half)
- 6 Garlic cloves diced
- 1 zucchini cut into small cubes
- 4 celery stalks cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 2 carrots cut into little circles
- 1 Tbs chicken soup mix (I use Osem)
- 3 Tbs mushroom soup mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- half a bunch of fresh dill washed and dried
- 14 cups water(or less if you are making a smaller pot!)
- Cut meat into small cubes. Dice 2 onions, and mince all of the garlic cloves.
- Heat up 2 Tbs of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and saute until golden- you want the onions to caramelise to get all that flavor! If they are browning too quick lower the flame. While the onions are cooking, prepare veggies and set aside. Add meat to the onions and cook for a couple minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add in vegetables and spices.
- Add water to the pot- this will depend on the amount of soup you are making. Cover the veggies with an inch of water. I usually make a huge pot of soup and use 14 cups. Lay dill on top, cover with a lid, and let simmer for about 3 hours. Taste(add salt if desired), and serve hot!
- To freeze: Let soup cool and divide into plastic containers, leaving about 2 inches for ice to form. I like to freeze soup in 2 portion sizes so we can reheat one container at a time for dinner!