This is the easiest Green Goddess Dressing Recipe- it’s bright, tangy, and creamy, with no dairy or mystery herbs! For the perfect pack away lunch serve with our incredible Chicken Wraps- homemade green tortillas stuffed with spicy cumin chicken, avocado, tomato, and pickled onion..lets dig in!
After a quick poll on my Instagram I realized that not everyone knows what Goddess Dressing is. NOT OKAY.
We are talking about an incredibly creamy green dressing made on a base of avocado and mayo with lots of fresh herbs and lemon juice. It’s tangy and herby and fresh…perfect for dressing salads or serving with wraps!
I grew up eating Goddess Dressing first from Annies in a bottle and then in the famed Green Goddess Wrap from Mermaids Cafe on the island of Kauai. (if you know you know).
Served on a 12″ green tortilla, we always ordered a wrap with fresh ahi or chicken, served with this green dressing and a side salad. It was heaven.
Today we are recreating a version of that incredible chicken burrito- with marinaded spicy cumin chicken, fresh pickled onions and choice veg, all wrapped in a homemade green tortilla and served with our own goddess dressing. YUM!
You are going to want to make this combo again and again for healthy, filling lunches!
SO, WHAT IS GODDESS DRESSING MADE OF?
The dressing is the cherry on top. It pulls the flavors of the wrap together and is just a great condiment on its own. You will need:
FAT. we are using olive oil and mayo as the base for our dressing. traditionally yoghurt is used but this version is dairy free!
ACID. lemon juice and vinegar give us the famous tang.
HERBS. parsley, green onion/chives, and garlic. there are a ton of different herbs to use for this dressing and different recipes call for different things. the harder to find ones(like tarragon), we are not using today.
CREAM. avocado! for the creamiest dressing, we need a half an avocado. use the other half for filling your wrap!
FLAVA. dijon mustard gives us a little extra depth of flavor, and of course a pinch of salt and pepper to finish.
To make the vegan goddess dressing, add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. My personal preference is the smoothie- blender attachment on my blender- it’s the perfect size for dressings, has a storage cap, and is much easier to clean. Hey, do you.
SPICY CUMIN CHICKEN
Okay how good does that sound?! Of course for our chicken wrap we need some delicious spiced chicken as the centerpiece- it’s filling, packed with protein, and loaded with flavor.
Because we all hate dry chicken, I’m suggesting a marinade for tenderizing the chicken, and then we’ll grill it till golden and sprinkle with our cumin-pepper spice. Like I said, I am only SUGGESTING a marinade for the chicken. If you are short on time you can simply grill the chicken, brush with olive oil and add the spices. Still delicious!
The spicy cumin sprinkle/rub is just that- freshly ground cumin and red chili flakes. If you have already-ground cumin spice that works great too.
Once the chicken is grilled and golden on one side, we’ll flip it and sprinkle with half of our spice mix, and then repeat on the other side.
Then slice and add to your wrap!
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
While pickling onions might sound like a hassle, it is really so easy, and you will have the perfect addition to add to wraps/omelets/tacos all week long!
For the onions we cook some spices: garlic, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and allspice, in olive oil, and then add our onions. Let that cook another minute, and add vinegar. Thats it!
Transfer to a glass storage jar and keep in the fridge for up to a week and a half!
ASSEMBLING THE WRAP
Now that you have made all wrap components(cumin chicken, pickled onions, and goddess dressing), it is time to wrap the wrap!
- Lay out one tortilla at a time(mine are 10″, using this homemade tortilla recipe)
- First spread on goddess dressing in the center. Then along the centre add sliced cumin chicken, some diced tomato, and avocado. Top with pickled onion.
- To roll up the wrap- fold the edge closest to you over the fillings as tight as you can and with your pinkies, fold in the side edges(your fingers will still be holding the filling). Continue to roll away from yourself until you have closed the wrap.
I like to slice the wrap on the diagonal through the centre, and then secure each half with a toothpick to keep them closed nicely.
Serve with our ultimate chicken wrap sauce(goddess dressing!!) on the side, and enjoy the most delicious, healthy, lunch ever!
I hope you love this Green Goddess Dressing and Goddess Wrap as much we do. Be sure to leave a review and a comment below if you make them, and always share your photos with us on Instagram!
As always, Happy Cooking!
Green Goddess Dressing + Chicken Wrap
- blender/ food processor
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 an avocado (use the other half for inside the wrap)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 TBSP green onion or chives
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
Spicy Cumin Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 TBSP green onion, sliced
- 1 TBSP fresh ginger , peeled and thinly sliced(a 1-inch piece)
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 TBSP freshly ground cumin(i use a coffee grinder for grinding spices and pulse for about 30 seconds) sub with ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled but whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups red or white onions, sliced as thin as possible
- 5 TBSP white vinegar
- 4-6 large green tortillas(recipe linked in above post), or store bought tortillas, regular or whole wheat
- 1 tomato, cored and sliced or cubed
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
Spicy Cumin Chicken
- Combine wine, green onion, ginger, star anise, and salt in a container or bowl and submerge the chicken. Let marinate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours in the fridge. In a seperate small bowl combine cumin and chili flakes.
- Heat a pan with 1-2 tsp of olive oil and add the marinated chicken breast. Cook until golden and flip. Brush or drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the cumin/chili mix- divide among the chicken. When the second side is done cooking, flip, brush with olive oil and sprinkle on the rest of the cumin/chili mix.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice into strips.
Quick Pickled Onions
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, bay leaf, spices, and salt and cook for about 2 minutes, until the garlic turns golden. Add the sliced onions and cook until just softened, another minute. Pour in the vinegar and stir well to deglaze the pan. Cook another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a heat proof glass container or let cool and transfer to a plastic container. Store in the fridge for several months.
Assembling the Wraps
- Lay out one tortilla at a time. Spread with about a tablespoon of goddess dressing. Add the sliced chicken in a horizontal line, leaving space at the edges of the tortilla.Top with picked onions, tomato, and avocado slices.
- Start by folding the bottom edge of the tortilla over the fillings as tight as possible and with your fingers still holding the filling, use your pinkies to pull in the edges of the tortilla. It is important to fold the edges in tight to keep the wrap intact. Continue rolling outward until you have rolled the whole thing. Slice in half on the diagonal and secure each half with a toothpick.
- Serve with goddess dressing on the side for dipping.