These super crispy Sesame Chicken Schnitzel Fingers are the BEST lunch food! They are chicken tenders made Israeli-style with a golden breadcrumb topping featuring tons of sesame seeds and a few simple spices. The process is really as easy as 1-2-3, and once you try them you’ll find yourself making schnitzel all the time!
My kids (and myself included) are obsessed with schnitzel. With both toddlers at home and a full day of play and 24/7 cleanup, lunch needs to be quick and tasty. When I yell “SCHNITZEL FOR LUNCH!” we never have complainers and everyone leaves the table with a full belly and a happy face. That is what I call good food!
Something else I love about these chicken fingers is that they aren’t bland kids food. I am not a fan of making two dinners, and I started my babies off eating the same food food I was eating from the start. Case in point- Nadav(who is 2!) can eat an entire container of Hummus Masabcha on his own, and Lani(who is 4), likes nothing more on her pasta than fresh pistachio pesto. I AM THAT MOM.
Shnitzelonim [pronounced shni-tzel-oh-neem]
These schitzelonim are really so crispy and sesame laden and crunchy that you will need to make an extra plate just for you. And the process is soooo simple.
First off, make sure you cut the chicken breast into finger length pieces. Too big and they will take longer to fry, and you might need a knife. This is Finger Food! Make them finger food size!
Each schnitzel piece will get a dip in egg and then in seasoned golden breadcrumbs. I never buy pre-seasoned breadcrumbs because [its kinda cheating] and I like being able to add what I like depending on the dish. Golden breadcrumbs(which look more orange than white in the package), give a crunchier texture and will give you the most crispy finished fry, so go for those when shopping!
The seasoning is simple but perfect: salt, sweet paprika(which you can adjust based on your family’s tastes), garlic powder, and a generous dose of sesame seeds. The sesame seeds add crunch, flavor, and a fun Middle Eastern look to these chicken schnitzel fingers – they are a must!
Once you’ve breaded all the chicken fingers, heat up some oil and gently add the first batch in.
TIP: Make sure you don't crowd the oil, as this lowers the oil temperature!
Fry until golden(this should take 1-2 minutes), flip, and fry the second side. Transfer the schnitzel to a paper towel or brown paper bag to cool while you finish the rest. Now all that’s left is to get out your favorite dipping sauces and eat up! I love eating these with honey bourbon dip, and the kids usually choose BBQ sauce or ketchup. You know them!!
We know you’ll love these Sesame Chicken Schnitzel Fingers as much as we do! Tag us in your photos on Instagram and leave a comment below to say hi! Happy cooking <3
Crispy Sesame Chicken Schnitzel Fingers
- frying pan
- 2-3 chicken breasts, sliced into finger length pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 cup golden breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp sweet paprika(depending on your kids' taste buds, i do 2 tsp!)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Slice chicken into finger-length pieces. Lay out three plates.First Plate: crack an egg and whisk it lightly. Second Plate: Place the breadcrumbs and season with salt, garlic powder, paprika, and sesame seeds. Whisk well to combine. Third Plate is for the finished schnitzel!
- Working one at a time, dredge each chicken finger into egg and then into the seasoned breadcrumbs, pressing the chicken into the coating to help it stick well and evenly.Place on the third plate. Once you have enough to fill your pan, heat up cooking oil until hot..
Fry and Serve
- Carefully add the breaded schnitzel, leaving space in between to not crowd the pan(this lowers the oil temp.) Fry until golden, flip, and fry the second side.
- Use tongs to tranfer the schnitzel to paper towels or into a brown paper bag to cool. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce- BBQ sauce, sweet chili, korean hot sauce, ketchup for the kids, or no sauce at all. THEY THAT GOOD, enjoy!