Crispy Chicken Lollipop Wings in Honey Sriracha
- 1 package chicken wings, frenched or whole and you can do it yourself!
- 1/2 + 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2+ 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 cup canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup sriracha hot sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 TBS rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- You can get lollipop chicken from the butcher already frenched. If you want to do it yourself, read on. Take your wings and rinse them under the water in the sink, making sure they are clean. Place a wing on the cutting board and grab a sharp knife. You'll first need to cut the wing in half to separate the drummette. There will be one side of the wing with two bones, place that aside, and the other with one, like a mini drumstick- that's the one we want!
- Hold the thinner side of the drummette and with a sharp knife, carefully cut around the bone to detach the meat and skin. Now hold the bone and with your other hand, pull the meat and skin down to the end of the bone, creating a lollipop shape. Continue pushing the meat down and over the end. Your drumettes look much bigger now eh?! Continue with all the wings.
- Place lollipop wings and the extra parts of the wings in a pan in a single layer. Sprinkle each side with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for 30 min. to an hour.
- In a container with a lid, add the flour, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne, and mix to combine. Add chicken(I do this in two batches), cover the container tightly with a lid, and shake for about 10 seconds to fully coat the chicken. Meanwhile, at high heat, heat 2 Cups oil in a high rimmed frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, add a single layer of wings, taking care not to crowd the pan. (crowding the pan lowers the oil temperature and means you won't get as crispy chicken) Fry for about 7 minutes on each side, until golden and nice and crispy. To keep the oil from browning, add a piece of carrot about an inch in length! When the chicken is finished, place it on a drying rack(metal rack with slates), to cool slightly before dipping.
Honey Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- Add all dipping sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Dip wings and serve hot!