Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins are light, chocolaty, and decadently delicious! We use a simple dairy free chocolate muffin base and add a dollop of cream cheese filling to the centre of each cake. Talk about the most perfect breakfast.
This post may contain affiliate links
I just had a baby!! Little Naia Dina is a mere 14 days old. She’s perfect and lovely and wants me to constantly hold her. Which I happily oblige to do. Also I’m constantly starving! Basically a ravenous beast, I am.
What I really need is a personal cook. Slash chef/ baker/ someone to fold and PUT AWAY all my laundry.
And make me these chocolate muffins!
Love Muffins? Try our favorites:
I will get out of bed solely if there is a cup of coffee and a bag of mint Milanos waiting for me. Recovery has been, echem, a journey, and it’s been impossible to stand in the kitchen and bake.
But I can think about that warm aroma my full oven gives- and remember the sweet taste of these muffins I made right before I gave birth.
(why I didn’t triple the recipe and freeze some I will never know)
These muffins are actually more of a cupcake. When I was envisioning this recipe in my head I wanted a light chocolate base, and less of a dense thick muffin batter. An airy, chocolate base that didn’t use up my last knob of butter.
Dairy Free Chocolate Muffin
This is not a dairy free recipe, obviously, but I liked that the muffin base is dairy free. I constantly run out of butter and milk so when I can do without those in a recipe I count that as a plus.
The muffin is like a chocolate cupcake. We use coffee to bring out a deeper flavor and cocoa powder for all the chocolaty goodness.
Cream Cheese Filling
The greatest part about these chocolate muffins is that they are stuffed with cream cheese filling. The filling is simple- you just whisk everything together in a bowl with a fork. You need cream cheese, egg, vanilla sugar, and pudding mix.
Like a cheesecake but minus all the work.
How to fill your muffin tins
- First off, you need to oil your muffin tin or add cupcake liners( this prevents the muffin from sticking)
- Next, fill each muffin tin 1/3 of the way full with the chocolate muffin batter.
- Add a dollop(one Tablespoon) of cheese filling to the centre of each muffin.
- Top off with more chocolate batter!
- To finish, press a mini Oreo(I used chocolate covered mini Oreos), into the centre of each muffin. You could also use a piece of chocolate in place of Oreos. Or white chocolate! yum!!
Don’t get over excited and stuff your muffins with an overwhelming amount of cheesecake filling(like someone we both know).
Because the muffin base is thin, it has a little trouble holding too much weight. Just a tablespoon of cheese filling is the perfect amount to make sure the muffins don’t sink at the top! (you can see mine did a little. hey- they were still delicious!)
I hope you love these Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins like we do! If you make this recipe please leave a comment & star rating below and come share your best shots with me on Instagram!
Chocolate Cheese Muffins
- 11/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 50 gram chocolate(1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 TBSP coffee
- 1 3/4 cup cream cheese/white cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 package vanilla sugar OR SUB: 2 TBSP white sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP pudding mix (dry powder straight from the package)
- 1 package mini oreos/chocolate covered oreos/regular oreos cut into 1/4
Preheat and Mix
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC
- In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients(flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder).
- Place chocolate(50 Grams) into a heat proof bowl and micrwave for 30 seconds. Mix. Microwave another 30 seconds. Mix till melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment(or in a large bowl), beat together the sugar(3/4 cup), oil(1/2 cup), and one egg. Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
- Add half of the boiling water and all the prepared coffee into the muffin batter. Mix. Add half the flour mixture. Mix. Then add the rest of the water and the rest of the flour, mixing in between each addition.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together the cheese, egg, vanilla sugar, and pudding mix until well combined.
Fill and Bake
- Spray muffin tin with oil or add muffin liners to a cupcake tray.
- Fill each muffin cup 1/3 of the way full with chocolate batter, and then add a Tablespoon of the cheese filling to the centre. Cover the cheese with chocolate batter. If desired, press a mini oreo or 1/4 of a large oreo into the contre of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are set and the centres no longer jiggly.Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze immediately.