Big Mac Smash Tacos are trending all over social media for a reason! Smashburgers are flour tortillas pressed with crispy beef, lettuce, pickles, and tomato, and drizzled with the famous Smash Sauce. They are so easy to make and taste insane! You’re going to love these!
Burgers are great- but Smash Burger Tacos are even better!!! At least when it comes to an easy weeknight dinner- all you need is a frying pan and some pantry staple ingredients to make this incredible recipe.
This recipe was featured in @whisk magazine. COVER SHOT photographed by Shoshi Sirkis and styled by @teimonet.
What is a Big Mac Smash Taco?
Big Mac Smash Tacos are like a Big Mac burger( from Mickey D’s), but made easy and made at home.
Instead of a burger sitting in a bun, you use a tortilla as the base, press on a thin layer of seasoned ground meat, and sear it (meat side down), in a frying pan. Then flip it over and top with all the goodies- crispy lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and the cherry on top- Smash Sauce.
Homemade Smash Sauce
This Smash Sauce is made at home with a few ingredients and it is Out.Of.This.World. It seriously takes these burger tacos to the next level! It’s creamy and a little spicy and super flavorful.
Smash Sauce Ingredients:
- mayo – this is the base for the perfect creamy sauce
- mustard relish or sweet relish – gives all the flavors with one condiment
- sriracha hot sauce– for the perfect spicy finish (sub this with Franks hot sauce)
- salt and pepper
- liquid smoke(optional!)- i love the added flavor we get from this! a tiny bottle goes such a long way!
Big Mac Taco Toppings
A Big Mac isn’t a Big Mac without all the extras! Today we are using crunchy iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and red onion.
This is totally flexible and you really can use what you have on hand, or use what you like, but for the real Mickey D flavor bomb don’t skimp on the toppings! I also like to add caramelised onion for a sweet rich flavor.
You can also try red pepper strips, fried bacon, or a fried egg on top for a different feel!
Instructions for making Smashburger Tacos
These Big Mac Tacos are so easy to make- even the kids can do it!
- Spice the meat. For the best flavor spice the ground meat with seasonings and mix well.
- Mix together the smash sauce.
- Chop all vegetables for toppings.
- Lay out tortillas and press a small handful of meat onto each one.
- Heat up a skillet and flip the taco meat side down into the pan. Cook until golden and crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Top with all your favorites and enjoy!
Tips for the Perfect Burger Tacos
1. Make sure the pan is very hot before adding the burger tacos to cook. I leave my cast iron skillet on the fire to heat up for at least a full minute before adding the oil. Once the oil is shimmering, you are good to go!
2. To make sure the meat sticks to the tortillas, press it on very well in a thin, even layer.
3. For a smooth Smash Sauce, use an immersion blender. I personally leave it as is but you might be particular about the texture!
I hope you love these Big Mac Smash Tacos like we do- be sure to leave a review and a comment below if you make them, and share your photos with us on Instagram! As always, Happy Cooking!
Big Mac Smash Tacos
- 12 mini tortilla rounds
- 1 lbs ground meat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp ketchup
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce or sriracha
- 4 Tbsp mustard relish or sweet relish
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke optional
- 1-2 cup iceberg lettuce very thinly sliced, or regular lettuce
- 2 to matoes sliced
- ¼ cup pickles diced
- One small red onion diced
- Caramelised onion optional
- Begin with the smash sauce. Add all ingredients to a small container and mix well to combine. If you want a smooth sauce, blend it.
- For the burgers, add ground meat and spices to a medium sized bowl and mix well. I wear gloves to do this.
- Lay out the tortillas. Press a round of meat (about ¼ cup) on the centre of a tortilla and press it onto the tortilla to cover the whole side. Make sure it adheres well at the edges.
- Heat up a griddle or large skillet and add a drizzle of oil. The pan has to be nice and hot and the oil shimmering when you add the burgers or the meat will stick. Flip the tortillas in one swift motion meat-face down in the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Using a wide spatula that fits most of the burger, carefully flip each one and fry the tortilla bottom another 1-2 minutes, until it is golden.
- Remove from heat and add toppings. Dollop over smash sauce. Enjoy!